Dear Lakeview Family,
In my last letter to you at the close of the school year, I provided updates on important areas such as retention, enrollment, hiring, and communication. I also assured you in that letter that Lakeview’s directors and staff would be working diligently over the summer to prepare for the ’22-’23 school year. Here are some areas we are addressing this summer:
My highest priority as head of school is to protect the health and safety of our students and staff. Here are additional steps we are taking to enhance the security of the campus. These steps will be in place by the August 15 start of school:
- We have hired a third security officer. He will rotate shifts and duties with our two current security officers so that one is constantly walking the campus, a second is manning the security office, and the third will man a newly created security check-in facility at the entrance to campus. (See below.) All three officers will be clearly identified by security vests.
- A small building is being constructed at the top of the entrance drive just past the new landscaping. The building will be manned by a security officer from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. to intercept, greet, and clear all visitors, including vendors, who drive onto campus following drop off and before pick up. Visitors will be directed to parking areas, and, if they are entering school buildings, will also go by the security office for a name tag. These steps will give us greater awareness of visitors on campus.
- Please make an appointment, if you need to speak with a director or teacher.
- We will continue the procedure of parents leaving forgotten school items on one of the tables located on the sidewalk at the drop off/pick up area. The forgotten items will be distributed to students by staff. This is a security measure as well as a means of cutting down on class interruptions.
- We have been communicating with the Gainesville City Police about our safety plan and have learned some better ways to secure our campus.
Student & Parent Handbook
The Lakeview Student & Parent Handbook is undergoing a thorough revision and update. This was started pre-Covid but was sidelined when we were absorbed in keeping education going. The updates have continued this summer, and the final document will be available on the school website before the start of school.
The Return of Lakeview Traditions
I’m pleased that several popular Lakeview traditions will return this upcoming year unless circumstances dictate another course of action. The directors agree with me that the time is right to bring back the following school favorites:
- Lunch with your student will be an option again next school year. Please let your child’s teacher know if you will be joining him or her for lunch.
- Pause on the Patio – We invite you to pause for a few minutes during morning drop off for coffee and a visit with staff and other parents one Friday a month. Our “patio” is located outside the student center. You can find the dates on the school calendar.
- The Lion’s Den – We are thrilled to bring back this fun tradition during three home football games. The Lion’s Den will offer bounce houses, games, and Kona Ice for our younger students to enjoy supervised fun with their classmates while parents watch the game. It is open for the first three quarters and is free to attend, but don’t forget money for Kona Ice. GO LIONS!
New This Fall
- The Lakeview Parent Association (LPA) is a dedicated group of parent volunteers that works with the school’s administration to enhance the quality of everyday life on campus. This year the LPA is adding volunteer committees and will have a new permanent ‘store’ for the popular sale of used uniforms. Be on the lookout for more information. If you have any questions or would like to get a head start volunteering, please reach out to Hope Harrison, LPA President, at email@example.com.
- Lakeview has hired some incredible additions to our faculty and staff, and I can’t wait for you to meet them this fall.
Enjoy your summer vacations and time with your children, and remember, every day is a great day to be a Lion!